How to write a cover page for a college research paper
Making a cover page for your college research paper can be simple when you keep in mind a few factors to help you incorporate pertinent details. One main element to remember is to follow guidelines and instructions presented by your school when it comes to formatting your cover page. If research paper is written using Chicago style or APA formatting styles, chances are you need a cover page when presenting your paper. The contents of your cover page may vary depending on the formatting style your paper follows.
Cover Pages for APA Format Style Research Papers
The title may appear in the center of the page with the first letter being capitalize for each word included. The information presented on the page may not need to be in italics, and other aspects such as bold print or quotations do not need to be included. Details such as the author, instructor name, course name, and due date of the paper should appear toward the bottom of the page but centered. In the upper-right corner of the page the title may appear but as a shortened version. This is also known as a summary of the title in a few words (about 3 to 5 words roughly). A page number may appear next to it as a roman numeral.
Cover Pages for Chicago Format Style Research Papers
Roughly ten lines down the page your title should appear. The first letter of each main word should have a capital letter (also known as written in title case). The title should be centered without special technicalities such as boldface or italics. About five lines down the author of the paper’s name should appear. The name should be centered and include the first and last name. At the bottom an appearing on separate lines, the information such as the due date, instructor name, and course name should appear.
Additional Information to Help Your Create Your Cover Page
Seek sample cover pages based on the formatting style you are required to follow. This may help in distinguishing differences in how your information should appear on the page and what to include. This process may only take you a few minutes once you understand how it should appear. Basic information about your research paper is place on the cover page; it is just a matter of knowing how to space your content and in what order the information appears.
Before we begin writing our research paper, let's take a look at the definition. A research paper is a type of writing in which the author does an independent analysis of the topic and describes the findings from that investigation. Furthermore, one will have to identify the weaknesses and strengths of the subject and evaluate them accordingly.
Table Of Contents
A research paper uses primary sources and data to support a thesis statement. Despite the level of your education or the chosen field of research, you will need to follow simple rules to spark your first words. This multi-step process includes:
- selecting a topic;
- formulating a thesis statement;
- conducting research using up to date sources.
Deciding On Topic
Choose the Best One
After filtering out various options, come up with the most suitable topic for the paper and begin researching. Sometimes, you may be forced to adjust your topic in the process of writing. This is a common occurrence so do not let it concern you.
How to Choose a Topic Quickly
You will probably bounce around from one good research topic to another until you finally decide on one. To choose a topic quickly, your best option is to select one that you are well versed in. Using the background knowledge you have will save you time so you can focus more on the writing process and less on the brainstorming.
Read the Assignment
It does not matter whether you are writing a research paper assigned by your high school teacher or college professor. Moreover, your paper will definitely have guidelines and requirements which will make the entire process much easier.
Find the Golden Center
Let’s imagine that you are writing about steroids and their effects. Surely, you can cover this theme in 200 pages, but if your assignment is to write a 10-page research paper, you will need to be more specific. Narrow down and focus on more specific questions. For example: Which steroids have the biggest side effects? Which components cause side effects? What are the side effects? How can sportsman avoid side effects?
Researching + Analyzing
Find primary and secondary sources
Depending on your theme, you will need to collect information to support your claims. If your paper is on a history topic, you will need to find primary sources like old documents, encyclopedias, old war footage, etc. to support your thesis statement. If your topic is about science, you may need to conduct an experiment and base your paper on the obtained findings. Otherwise, you can find information using labs, encyclopedias and other sources.
Don’t forget to take notes
While you are busy conducting research or analyzing an experiment, don’t forget to take notes. Taking thorough notes keeps your mind involved in your activity. It will help you create paper outline later on and will save you time overall.
Check the reliability of your sources
Research and confirm the validity of the author and sources so you can be sure that they are credible.
Answer these questions to avoid careless mistakes.
- Am I sure that all my quotations, paraphrases, and summaries are accurate?
- Am I sure that my references are accurate?
- Is my documentation in the proper form that my instructor assigned?
Draft an Outline
The best thing about an outline is that it helps you organize your thoughts before beginning the writing process. Moreover, when your outline is done, it becomes much easier to identify what needs to come first.
Create the Thesis
- Make sure your thesis is clear
- Remember, the thesis is your argument. Make sure it sounds assertive.
- Write two-three versions of your thesis and choose the best one
- Share your thesis with a neutral person to get a straightforward outcome
- Discuss your thesis with others; sometimes people have good ideas
- It should appear in your introduction and be restated in conclusion
Start your introductory sentence broad and work your way into a topic.
- Don’t make your subject look too boring
- Make sure that your statement relates to your thesis
- Make sure that everyone can understand your statement if you don’t want to be criticized from the very beginning.
Explain the Terminology
If you want to avoid any misunderstandings from your audience, the first thing you should do is lay out any specific/unusual words. Attempt to avoid using obscure terms so your reader won’t be confused.
What is convenient and what is not
You can start with an analytical statement or with a true story in almost all cases, but for example, if you are writing about photosynthesis in a plant cell, telling a story would be inconvenient.
Research Paper Title Page
MLA Title Page
Here are some tips from our writing team on how to format your research paper MLA title page:
- This page is double spaced and the letters are centered.
- Type the name of your university or college.
- Skip to about one-third of the page and type your research paper title, include a subtitle if you have.
- Skip several lines down and type your name, your course name and number, your instructor name and your paper’s due date.
APA Title Page
Place the running head in your page’s header:
- Use label “Running head:” then your shortened title (IN UPPERCASE LETTERS), align left
- Place the page number in this same header, but align right, begin with page number 1
- This header should be 1 inch from the top. Some teachers say 1/2 inch is okay too.
- Place your paper’s title in the upper half of the page, centered, capitalize the first letter of important words in your title.
- Place your University’s name below your name, double-spaced.
Learn How to Cite a Research Paper.
Writing the First Draft
Moving forward, you should consistently support the thesis with information collected during your research. Keep in mind that, before editing, you need to create a complete rough draft. Also, don't forget about research paper structure, it's crucially important to the better understanding of the text.
Check the Grammar
Spending hours writing endlessly may lead to poor results. This could be things such as grammar mistakes, misinterpretation of the facts, spelling mistakes, and an overall lack of eloquence in the text.
- Avoid homonyms such as lie (to recline)/lie (to tell a falsehood), mean (average)/mean (not nice), kind (type)/kind (caring), etc.
- Introduce direct quotations, spaces and punctuation properly
- Don’t forget to find and correct punctuation and sentence errors, especially regarding commas, sentence fragments, and run-on sentences
- Introduce direct quotations spaces and punctuations properly
If you use another person’s opinions or ideas, make sure to give them credit. Consult your professor about what style should you use. MLA format and APA format styles are the common ones, but they may use a different method of citation.
Print out your draft and check it with a pen or pencil. Read it out loud, and when you hear how it sounds, you might notice unsuitable words or sentences. These things will ease your life and help to find little mistakes easier.
Go and get your A+!
Now after you have done all this hard work, you can go and submit your paper. Just don't miss the deadline!
Remember that You can always count on EssayPro paper service when facing difficulties in college!
Have any troubles with your paper?
No research topics peaked your interest, or you are simply falling behind? Get professional assistance from a trusted essay writing service. Whether you’re looking to have your work proofread or buy an essay - we’ve got it all handled! Just chat our academic writer to get help with all your irritating tasks.
Write my essay online