A reflective essay is a piece of writing dealing with you and everything about your identity, character and disposition. It is not a cursory look at you as an individual but a thorough analysis of your personal changes and what the impetus was towards such changes, who influenced your personality and why you yielded or vice versa – why you withstood and remained the same person you used to be. To write a reflective essay you need know inside and out other scientific fields rather than just of literature and writing strategies. Psychological approaches are useful to you as a student when it comes to help with essay writings. They will help you out to analyze the situation deeper with going into all the subtleties.
How to write a personal reflective essay
Conciseness and informativeness should be the main priorities for you while writing a reflective essay. Being too general and disorganized may lead you to the failure.
The key to success in writing your reflective essay is crafting its outline before actually start writing. It will help you to keep the same point throughout the whole essay. The outline is practically your draft paper where you organize your paper and mention what information will go to each of its sections. With writing a draft you will avoid getting into the dead end.
Although a reflective essay is not the same with other types of writings, for example, a literary essay, it has three vital parts as any essay does: introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
Providing a hook is a good way to start writing a reflective essay. It will grab audience's attention. To arouse interest, start by telling a joke adjacent to the topic of the essay to outpace yourself by providing a juicy detail from the story you are going to tell about without giving the whole resolution of the problem. We are sure you did have a high school reflective essay. If that is true try to recollect what were your main hooks?!
- Introduction. In the first part of the essay catch reader's attention by providing a hook (that we were talking about) and also include a thesis statement. This is statement telling the audience what the essay is about as well as the problem or question it is targeted to resolve and dwell on. Insert some basic information concerning the story you are going to talk about.
- Body. These paragraphs are the essence of the essay because they contain the informative insight into the life story. Every essay differs from the rest of its kind but there is a common pattern you may use while structuring your essay. To complete a higher reflective essay you need to be precise and coherent and do not reiterate the same information again and again though you may make not a linear chronology to be more creative but it shouldn't perplex the reader. Every story should have a deep sense that is why include only relevant and worthy details that later will lead to the thought-provoking conclusion.
- Conclusion. This is basically a summary of the whole work. This part should bring all the parts into a logical terminus that triggers thoughts and productive discussion. Note the impact that a person, situation, place made on you.
Avoid such errors!
Poor idea and plot of the essay will trigger a low grade. Every paper should have a definite goal and the writer needs to achieve it by the end of its completion.
Too many details, names, and unnecessary subtleties that will puzzle the reader.
Stylistic, grammar, spelling mistakes. Re-read your paper several times to detect such errors and eliminate them.
Lack of personality in rendering the message. Too many generalizations that are far from your experience.
Reflective essay common topics
Topics differ according to the particular discipline you study. It can be a reflective essay on communication, on love, friendship or universal concepts, reflective essay on presentation, truths etc.
“Why people turn to religion?”
“Is the the accomplishment of desires depend soelly on you?”
“Who is your lifestyle guru?”
“A concept of a hero in the modern world”
“Your watershed meeting”
It's easy. Start from an outline and then just follow your plan. Sometimes it's better to start from the main part of an essay - its body, and after that, write an introduction and a conclusion, according to your intro.
We recommend to choose a reflective essay title before writing it itself. In general, writing a reflective essay does not differ from any other type of paper. The only difference that it should be a reflection of yourself. And here we are going to tell you all nuances and share tips on how to write a reflective essay. Just keep reading.
What is a Reflective Essay?
One of the first things you should consider it to define what reflective essay actually is. This is a reflection of yourself. You will have a definite topic, which concentrates on you. Your reader will expect the evaluation of your life during some period of time. Your teachers and/or professors may ask you to reflect on different memories, feelings, and emotions of your past. They are supposed to be exciting and interesting. This is a critical key. Otherwise, your potential audience will not wish to read a boring author.
I NEED A REFLECTIVE ESSAY
You will have to go back to your previous life experiences and give a clear account of a certain event, happening or feeling. It is necessary to choose the proper words and phrases while reflecting your thoughts and showing what you feel. Therefore, you should decide on the correct word choice to fully describe what you wish.
This is a very special and really personal essay type. You will need a lot of things to consider, reflect and explain. You are to demonstrate various feelings you felt previously. For instance, you may have to show how you have changed since your childhood or how you used to play with your first friends. Your teacher may likewise ask you to highlight some events, which are related to social or political aspects too. Your mind surely has such memories. Nevertheless, you may not have all the details to make the story full. Take some time to reflect all necessities.
In addition, you should identify your own writing style to make the content clearer, readable and positive. Reveal an original manner. Try to share with your audience important and happy feelings. Nevertheless, be honest. If you have something negative, mention it as well.
At times, looking on some other essays may come you in handy too. It is quite possible that an illustration essay may help you. Take a look if you have time.
How to Write a Reflective Essay
Now, that you already know what is a reflective essay you should figure out how to write a reflective essay. This is useful information, and you should study this matter to have a better understanding of how to put the things together.
Of course, you will require a decent plan to develop your paper. It gives lots of benefits. When you create an outline, you will have a clearer view of the further development of your literature work. You have a decent structure, which would reveal how to write your story step by step and page by page.
You should be organized and gradually develop your assignment. Thus, the process of writing will become much easier. Make allowances for the following points:
Reflective Essay Outline
You should outline each part of your written assignments to write it quicker. Consider the following steps:
- Choosing topic
- Gathering information
- Refining informative resources
- Writing a draft
- Writing main parts of the project
- Making references
Reflective Essay Outline Structure
In general, your outline should contain three main points:
- Main body
Introduction to a Reflective Essay
Any academic assignment should begin with the introduction. It should be:
You should explain what you are going to describe and what your main ideas are. A proper start sufficiently increases your chances of success.
Reflective Essay Thesis
The thesis statement should reveal your main purpose. You should:
- Describe a definite event, experience or change;
- Include at least one strong example that makes the picture fuller;
- Show effects, consequences, how some events affected you in person and what your experience gave you.
How to Write a Conclusion for a Reflective Essay
The last paragraph is the general overview and the summary of your paper. The conclusion should:
- Retell the story in other words
- Highlight the main points
- Logically conclude the research
The end should be effective. If you draw proper conclusions, you will show the high level of understanding what you have depicted in your own story.
Under the condition, you are looking for a deep research on the mentioned above essentials you may use the next link. Using this guide, you may discover some other helpful tips to write an appropriate reflective essay.
ORDER A REFLECTIVE ESSAY
Reflective Essay Examples
In order to compose an effective paper, you should read some reflective essay examples. Read those that are typical for your educational institution and meet your goals. The things could become more complicated than you thought before. Except for the main parts of your reflective essay, there are some other essentials to consider. Amongst these there ought to be taken into account the next essentials:
- Making a draft. Depending on your goals, write the first draft to see how the things appear on the paper. Afterward, you may correct all weak places and introduce something you might have missed previously.
- Following the format. You should obligatorily follow a certain format. This may be APA, Chicago, Harvard, etc. Don’t forget to ask your supervisor about this essential moment.
- Writing the right references. Thinking that you have done the whole work after three main parts of your assignment would be a bad habit. Your informative sources should be properly cited. Name the resources you took to complete your task and organize them in accordance with your academic style.
These prompts are helpful. Don’t forget them. Please, mind that you might possibly require some other assistance that differs from reflective essay examples. Consequently, we propose to review the following link – to ease your academic duties. Later on, those tips might come you in handy.
Reflective Essay Topics
At times, you may be missing some good ideas for your reflective essay topics. Even if you are taught how to write the reflective essay, you may not be able to pick up a relevant and interesting topic.
Good Reflective Essay Topics
- Experience you’ll never forget
- What breaks your heart?
- What can inspire you?
- Your special qualities
- How do you reach your goals?
Personal Reflective Essay Ideas
- What do you like about yourself?
- Your biggest fears.
- Your main dreams.
- What should be your future like?
- How do you overcome stress?
Reflective Essay on English Class
Under the condition, you cannot perform a reflective essay on English class make a deeper research. Explore the local libraries and the Internet. This is a good piece of advice. If we were asked where to find proper topics, we would suggest this web resource. Keep it in memory and take some notes to have the ability to choose a suitable topic and complete your assignment.
Of course, you may have some other opinions, and this link might appear to be of little importance for you. Therefore, we encourage you to make a decent analysis of other resources or ask us to assist you in this matter as well.
Visit our official webpage and place instant orders. Our service is becoming one of the best in its class and can become your best assistant.